PHILLIP H. MCMATH POST PUBLICATION BOOK AWARD
The Phillip H. McMath Post Publication Book Award is open for nominations between February 1 and October 15, 2019 (postmark deadline). Beginning in 2020, we will offer two awards, one for prose and one for poetry. We encourage you to read our guidelines below before submitting.
The mission of the Phillip H. McMath Book Award is to:
- honor the contributions of Phillip H. McMath to the Arkansas literary community
- highlight, and promote stellar books by emerging writers
- identify authors who can serve as role models for our students
- to develop the Arkansas Writer’s MFA Workshop Resource Fund
Any publisher, author, agent or any legal representative or an author may enter full-length books published in the 2018 calendar year. Submissions may be made in ANY GENRE. Submissions may NOT be self-published. Entering the title indicates the author’s willingness to attend and give a reading at the UCA Arkatext Literary Festival in Spring 2020. Both winners will receive a $500 honorarium and a $1,000 travel stipend to the 2020 festival. Beginning in 2021 with poetry, poetry and prose winners will be invited to the festival in alternating years. If the author is unable to attend the literary festival, the award will not be granted to the author and another recipient will be chosen.
The following people are ineligible for the award: students at the University of Central Arkansas, alumni of the University of Central Arkansas, authors who have had books published by publishing houses that are currently operated by UCA MFA faculty or who operate presses that have published current MFA faculty, faculty who have taught at the University of Central Arkansas within the previous five years, employees of the state of Arkansas, and spouses, partners, relatives, or recent former students(within the past five years) of current faculty in the Department of Writing at the University of Central Arkansas.
- All work must be submitted in English.
- Each book must be a self-contained entity.
- No anthologies, collaborations, however, are acceptable. Honorariums will then be split evenly.
- Agents and publishers who submit on behalf of the author, please notify the writer that their work is under consideration for the award.
Send a copy of the book, along with a check for $25 (make check’s payable to UCA Foundation) and a cover sheet with the following information:
Title of Work
Author’s Name and Address
Author’s Email Address and Phone Number
Publisher’s Name and Address
Publisher’s Email Address and Phone
Publication Date (only books published in 2018 are eligible)
Submit to the following address by October 15, 2019 (postmark):
Phillip H. McMath Book Award
Department of Writing
University of Central Arkansas
201 Donaghey Ave Thompson 303
Conway, AR 72035
Please direct any questions to Stephanie Vanderslice, firstname.lastname@example.org